Altitude Industries LLC

Altitude Industries LLC
Visit the New Altitude Industries webpage for overland gear trailers and rooftop tents!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Skinning the Lid

Above is a photo of the lid after I welded 22 gauge flat plate steel to the frame. This was a HUGE pain. I don't know if my welding skills are that bad (probably) or if I am missing a more obvious way to attach it and make a water tight seal.... The welder was on its lowest setting, but not burning holes in the thin metal was near impossible, as was getting a nice bead. Anyway, I finally finished after draining an entire 10lb tank of gas and then I grinded down my bumpy mess. This has left a pretty rounded edge, but I think its good enough. Here's a close up of some edges...


Here's a view of the underside. I tacked the skin to the frame on every cross member every 4 inches or so. I've heard drumming can be a problem on the highway, so hopefully not having more than 2.5ft x 2ft spans will keep noise to a minimum.


Unfortunately, the steel yard couldn't provide a single sheet big enough for the top. So, I had to use two pieces and weld it together.

No comments: