Altitude Industries LLC

Altitude Industries LLC
Visit the New Altitude Industries webpage for overland gear trailers and rooftop tents!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Hitch Extension/Riser

When I did the spring over lift on the trailer it really made it tall. The lunette is about 30" off the ground. When I get my Jeep Unlimited (4-door) with a 4" lift and 37" tires, it should sit level. For now, with my 2.5" lift and 33" tires, the trailer has to really lean down. I've seen the adjustable ball hitches that all those huge lifted pickup trucks have, so I thought why not make something like that for the pintle. I started with a 12" receiver hitch tube from harbor freight which was on sale for $6.99 and grinded the paint off and cut it down to size.

Using 2" square tube I measured out enough length to clear the spare tire.



Then I welded it all together and added a angled piece for extra strength.


It looks kinda funky, we'll see if I end up using it. Once the trailer is painted I'll do some test runs to see if I like pulling the trailer with or without the hitch extension.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the info. It sounds pretty user friendly. I guess I’ll pick one up for fun. thank u
trailers sale