Altitude Industries LLC

Altitude Industries LLC
Visit the New Altitude Industries webpage for overland gear trailers and rooftop tents!

Monday, April 13, 2009

Gas Spring Ordeal

I went back and forth with http://www.internationalgassprings.com/ about which size to order. After I finally settled on a size, they sent me this email:

"I have not been able to get back to you as our normal business has picked up. IGS is a wholesale operation which typically ships high volumes of springs at a time. We are not set up for small quantity orders. I had some spare time when you contacted me the first time and offerred some help but at this point cannot spend any more time on it. Your best bet is to buy the springs from Mcmaster-carr who will offer a similar size http://www.mcmaster.com/. "

So, save yourself the hassel and go to McMaster to start with. Their gas spring page here.

Ball ends and mounting brackets here.

I just completed my order. Based on the info from IGS, I picked the 9416K22 gas spring. It basically has the same specs as the one IGS recommended: 28" extended length, 12" stroke, 25o lbs force. Since its an M8 rod end instead of M10, its one third the cost, only $18.77 each! Hopefully it is not too wimpy to stand up to offroad use. Guess we'll see. I ordered some extra ball brackets to allow me to use multiple mounting positions. This should allow one position for lid empty, and one for lid rack loaded up. I plan to start with the mounting positions IGS gave me and see how they work.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

First, very nice trailer you have there.

I have a couple of questions for you.

How many of the gas springs did you install? One or two?

Is each spring rated at 250 lift?

How heavy is the lid?

I ordered some springs from McMaster but I cannot budge them. Any tips?

Thanks,