Altitude Industries LLC

Altitude Industries LLC
Visit the New Altitude Industries webpage for overland gear trailers and rooftop tents!

Friday, January 16, 2009

Mounting the Jerry Can Holders

This is the location I originally wanted to mount the jerry can holders. This frees up space on the traingular tounge area for a dry box to house my electrical components. These projects were my inspiration: Pic 1 Pic 2


However, I'm not sure how they accomplished this. When I tried mocking it up, I was having alignment problems with the metal strap that holds the can in the holder. The holder physically fits in the spot along the tub in front of the tire, but when you try to get the can out, the metal strap hits the lip of the tub that hang out over the holder. See the green line below. I didn't want to try to mount the holder titled since it would difficult and would look strange. Plus it would be hanging out there... an easy target for rocks and trees.


I decided to sacrifice the space up front and mount the cans back to back standing vertically. This keeps them safe and easy to access. By redesigning my dry box using steel (rather than a store bought truck box) I can still make it fit.


I had to relocate the hand brake to fit the cans in this orientation. To allow the brake cable to sit under the cans, I had to elevate them off the tounge rails using 1.5" steel tube. Then I welded a frame to separate the jerry can holders (the can't be mounted back to back since the metal straps hit eachother at the top of the holder where the pad-lock hole is). The frame also provides stability to keep the holders from wobbeling/vibrating too much.





No comments: