Altitude Industries LLC

Altitude Industries LLC
Visit the New Altitude Industries webpage for overland gear trailers and rooftop tents!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Electrical Box - Tounge Storage Bin

Since I decided to mount the AT fuel can holders up front, that didn't leave much room for the store bought plastic truck box that I planned to mount to the triangular tounge space. I used some tape to mark off the approximate limits of where I could mount gear before it would interfere with sharp turns on the trail. The space I was left was about 11 x 18 footprint which is enough to house the battery unit.



With 1/16" thick plate steel I had in the shop, I used a circular saw and metal blade to carefully cut out the sides, top and bottom.



In the next photo you can see the box taking shape and how the battery unit fits nicely inside. On the driver's side of the box, I mounted two electrical junction boxes. One will house a weather-proof outlet which will be wired to the outlet in the battery. The second is a weather proof light switch which will operate the LED lights inside the lid.


Here's a look at the box mostly finished sitting in place. I made the same height as the AT fuel can holders.

The last picture here is of the mostly finished box with the lid in place. I welded hinges on. The large gap in the back of the lid is unimportant since I welded a piece of angle iron underneath to form a tight seal. Later I'll be adding automotive weatherstrip.



No comments: